Tuesday, February 10, 2009

LOST

Last night Peri and I sat ourselves down and started the first season of LOST. Needless to say, I have succumbed to being just one of the masses who cannot tear their eyes away from that show. I had been told countless times that I would love it... but who has time to let themselves become addicted to yet another TV show? Not me. And especially not now... but alas! Me thinks it is now too late. Four episodes in and there is no turning back.

Last night I dreamed, quite vividly too, that I was stranded on an island with a random selection of folks. Ah! I have often wondered how I would do in such an unlikely although very real sort of situation... my morbid curiosity with the show prevents me from stopping. If I am terribly honest I think that I would be pretty level headed. Those of you that know me may not agree at first but if I were to really bunker down and remember that my God is in control, no matter how out of control things might seem, I think I would be an asset instead of that unbearable girl who just stood there in the middle of the wreckage screaming her head off. I can't stand it when people scream. It is absolutely no help whatsoever to yourself or those around you. It exacerbates the tense and dangerous atmosphere. It is that strange middle child between Fight and Flight: Fright and it makes no sense.

I have had a couple emergency situations as a babysitter and in one case the mom was actually home... it is a very long story but in a nutshell: she froze up and my 15 year old self was left to do the thinking. I called 911... I kept the kids together and all the while this mother was in a dazed panic. Of course, I will never forget the adrenalin that took over my veins and the feeling of my heart crashing against my chest. The prayers that began pouring out of me, mentally, while I held the little girls close to me until the police arrived... but despite the fear and overwhelming desire for self-preservation I stood my ground and braced for the worst. I went through every scrap of self-defense I had ever retained and made my peace with God. So I suppose I am a fighter after all. Translate that to a plane crash on a strange and mysterious island and I believe that I would be able to help...

Oh boy... I really enjoy movies and TV shows that get you thinking about stuff.

No comments: