Wednesday, February 25, 2009

powerful pancakes...

Yesterday morning, at approximately 5:13 AM my phone rang. In my foggy, confused state I leaped out of bed, turned on the light, made my bed and answered the phone. I was probably reaching for my jeans when I realized that it was my dad calling from Dubai. I had that terrible feeling that I had woken up hours late for something and someone was calling to ask me where I was. I was so relieved to realize it was my dad's voice on the other end. I miss him so much but it is good to know he arrived safe and sound. I don't remember anything from our conversation except that he remembered that it was super early here... we said I love you and I collapsed back into bed and fell into a much more restful slumber than before. I love my Daddy.

Yesterday was my second class in my creative writing course. We had to bring in enough copies of our first writing assignment for everyone. I had it finished and printed out and when we began reading a couple of the others out loud I began to realize I had hit the mark of telling a humiliating story about my life but I had absolutely no humor to balance it out. The 4 essays that were read out loud, all of them included some kind of humor... and they were more like embarrassing moments, not humiliation... I was relieved that I wouldn't have to read mine out loud in front of the class, but they do have a copy of it to read on their own. I am nervous for my teacher to return mine to me next week all marked up and with a frowny face sticker.

After class I came back to the apartment and while Peri was getting ready to go I read the other papers that I brought home. To my amazement I hadn't crashed and burned as horribly as I thought. I might even have fallen in the middle ground somewhere... how did that happen? My brain already hurts... I clearly need this mental exercise. And it is quite shocking to me that I might not be the last one to cross the finish line.

When Peri and I were ready, we walked down to Mark's flat for Sam's (one of mark's flatmates) Pancake Party. I never say no to pancakes, if I can help it, and these were really good pancakes. When we arrived in front of the little apartment building I realized that because I keep forgetting to top up my cell phone, we were unable to call anyone inside to alert them to the fact that we needed letting in. I found a little rock on the street and backed up until I could see people in the window. Mark was standing right next to one. Perfect. I brought my arm back and totally chickened out before I tossed it. Instead I opted for jumping up and down and whisper yelling Mark's name. It worked. I was impressed by how many people they managed to fit in their living area and the compactness of it all made for some great conversation with some new faces, all of which were enjoying delicious pancakes with all sorts of new and mysterious toppings. They had run out of maple syrup before Peri and I arrived but they had nutella, jams, and golden sugary stuff... I chose lemon juice and sugar, crepe style, and I was not disappointed.

Sam had this as a fundraiser for the Tearfund. Mark explained that it is a charity/ organization that works with local churches around the world to help local communities. (something like that) And lemme tell you, it was a great idea.

So, after an exhausting but fun day Peri, Katy (who showed up for pancakes) and I came home for some sweet deep sleep. Have I mentioned on here how much I love sleeping? It is such a wonderful way to spend the night... with your pillows all in the perfect spot and your body totally relaxed after a long day full of tension. mmmmmm yeah...

1 comment:

peri said...

i like how you mention me a lot in this one.