Wednesday, February 4, 2009

In the Candy Cafe

Right now I am sitting in the corner cafe that sits only a few doors down from my apartment, here in center city, Dublin. For the past 4ish months since I came here to work with Abbey Church I have become quite the regular. I usually get the same bagel sandwich and a coke. I am trying to branch out (today I am eating a BLT) but the bagel is just so yummy! I am getting to know the small staff of employees, made up mainly of immigrants from eastern Europe and Asia. I make a point to smile and ask how they are doing before I order my food or drink. I think they have begun to notice. That is one of the things that bothers me about cities. The anonymity and fast pace give people the opportunity to be more rude and less caring with each other in simple, everyday activities, without being that odd Jerk who happens to stand out of the crowd. The fact that common courtesy and kindness are the unusual qualities in city life makes me sad.
Even though I grew up on the fringes of Ft Lauderdale, Florida, a very large city, I have never really experienced "The City" the way I am here. Dublin really isn't that big, by world city standards I suppose, but living in the very heart of it you wouldn't be able to notice. There may not be skyscrapers and New York accents but what it lacks in Big Appleness it makes up for in the hustle and bustle of daily life.

Even though I am really enjoying my time here in the heart of this incredible city I have already determined that City Life isn't for me... I also know that I couldn't live out in the middle of nowhere either... I am not a huge fan of suburbs, but the convenience of suburban life is really appealing. You can get fresh air when you need it and you're not smacked in the face with the smog and car exhaust of the city every time you step out your front door. People tend to be nicer and there is a stronger sense of community. I like that.
I guess I have all the time in the world to figure out where I will be living someday. Quite frankly, I don't want to settle in any one place for very long. I am well on my way to being a sort of nomad and it thrills me to think of all the places I will see and go. The people I will meet along the way and the stories I will hear. I can only hope that I can share at least a little of the incredible love that I have been given with each of them.

No comments: